Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

№ 218 Ville de Paris Refuse Truck with Paris Coat of Arms

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • № 218 Ville de Paris Refuse Truck with Paris Coat of Arms

    Majorette № 218 Ville De Paris Mercedes-Benz LP Series Refuse Truck

    Discovered the white ship logo in the blue square is likely associated with the Paris coat of arms. The city motto is Fluctuat nec mergitur ("[She] is tossed [by the waves], but does not sink").

    Source: internet / https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Paris









    - Jeff
    Supreme Miniature Vehicle Storage Solutions Architect

  • #2
    Great model, I believe these are the earlier issues of the casting with the Ville de Paris labels, and neat you researched what the symbol might mean.

    Doug

    Comment


    • #3
      Comparison with another example, which has no provision for the oval sticker. I'm guessing the one with the sticker is earlier. Also note the color, and wheel variations.

      The Fandom Majorette webpage has a wheel guide.
      This is a list of all types used between 1968 and the present. Also see Wheel Types (By Type) for more information.


      The wheels with the outer and inner rings with three knobs are known on the Fandom page as NUC.


      Note: Ron Lohr and Ron Gold, authors of "The Unauthorized Guide To Majorette Toys", call the wheel style "3kk". They are described as having an outer ring with three knobs and an inner ring with three knobs. Courtesy Mark F. (14-apr-2018).

      The Fandom page refers to the three spoke wheel design as "3S".








      - Jeff
      Supreme Miniature Vehicle Storage Solutions Architect

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Douglas View Post
        Great model, I believe these are the earlier issues of the casting with the Ville de Paris labels, and neat you researched what the symbol might mean.
        Thanks. I have another example (just posted) without the provision for the sticker, and I'm guessing that is a later release (to save money on the stickers?). As far as researching the ship logo, sometimes what we see on these models has a basis in the 1:1 world, and I got curious about this one.
        - Jeff
        Supreme Miniature Vehicle Storage Solutions Architect

        Comment


        • #5
          Neat older Majorette piece. At one time I had one of the Paris sticker versions in my collection as well, but it went off to garbage duties at another collector's home many years ago. Neat to see the variations between the older version and newer version - especially with removing the area for the sticker.

          Comment


          • #6
            Nice Mercedes! Really like the opening plastic part in the back. Not sure what you'd call that in english, in german we would say "Schüttung".
            - Patrick

            ModellbauMaster on …
            FaceBook
            Instagram
            YouTube

            Comment


            • #7
              both of them look to be in very good shape.

              Comment


              • #8
                Jeff, there is also a green one with the oval panel, I think they did that one with both the Ville de Paris label, and a hippo label, I have the hippo label one if you want to see it for your future variation hunting.
                Doug

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Douglas View Post
                  Jeff, there is also a green one with the oval panel, I think they did that one with both the Ville de Paris label, and a hippo label, I have the hippo label one if you want to see it for your future variation hunting.
                  Of course, but don't go to any trouble.
                  - Jeff
                  Supreme Miniature Vehicle Storage Solutions Architect

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by atombaum View Post

                    Of course, but don't go to any trouble.
                    No problem got a photo of my 3 old Mercedes garbage trucks right in my album, here it is

                    Doug

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Douglas View Post

                      No problem got a photo of my 3 old Mercedes garbage trucks right in my album, here it is

                      Nice selection. From what I can see, it looks interesting. Is "Hippo" a brand? The green cab is definitely cool.

                      Just found one on eBay. Maybe the hippo just looks like the refuse truck with the big opening. Is a sense of humor needed to appreciate it?

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Majorette 218 Mercedes refuse truck Hippo variation eBay 18jul2022a.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	464706
                      - Jeff
                      Supreme Miniature Vehicle Storage Solutions Architect

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by atombaum View Post

                        Nice selection. From what I can see, it looks interesting. Is "Hippo" a brand? The green cab is definitely cool.

                        Just found one on eBay. Maybe the hippo just looks like the refuse truck with the big opening. Is a sense of humor needed to appreciate it?

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Majorette 218 Mercedes refuse truck Hippo variation eBay 18jul2022a.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	464706
                        I'm not sure if it is a brand there in France or something, but they did use hippo tampos on a later garbage truck casting too, unless the open hippo mouth is suppose to represent the crushing action of a real garbage truck, or another thought comes to mind is maybe just nature for recycling, but then did they even do recycling when these old Mercedes issues were available.
                        Doug

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Douglas View Post

                          I'm not sure if it is a brand there in France or something, but they did use hippo tampos on a later garbage truck casting too, unless the open hippo mouth is suppose to represent the crushing action of a real garbage truck, or another thought comes to mind is maybe just nature for recycling, but then did they even do recycling when these old Mercedes issues were available.
                          Whatever it is, I like the hungry hippo artwork! As you said, maybe the massive crushing action is what it's all about. Will keep my eyes open for this, and later Majorettes with the same logo. Thanks Doug.
                          - Jeff
                          Supreme Miniature Vehicle Storage Solutions Architect

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I've got a couple of the other model with hippo graphics:


                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I’ve got it in green with the oval, but completely different stickers:

                              Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	514030 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	514031 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	514032 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	514033
                              Last edited by jt3; 11-13-2022, 07:39 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X