Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1965 GMC 4000 Flatbed

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1965 GMC 4000 Flatbed

    Click image for larger version

Name:	corgi-fire-heroes-1966-gmc-fire-pumper-chicago-fire-department-cs90009-3.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	236523

    I started with this casting, since it had decent wheels and factory window glass where the earlier Lledo Days Gone version didn't, got it apart, and started from there.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210222_212954(1).jpg
Views:	74
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	236526 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210222_212950(1).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	236527 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210222_212936(1).jpg
Views:	73
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	236524 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210222_212944(1).jpg
Views:	74
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	236525

    I then took to scratchbuilding a flatbed around a partial Greenlight SD Trucks WorkStar bed and rear bumper I had lying around, so that I had a decent rear bumper, a place to install a trailer hitch someday, and ready made taillights.The rivet was also taken out of the frame before I started fitting things.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210222_231437.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	236528 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210222_231500.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	236529 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210222_231548.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	236530 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210222_231627.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	236531 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210222_231610.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	236532 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210222_231508.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	236533

    Here is the bed in bare wood, awaiting a coat of Apple Barrel "Pavement" (also a good match for machine tool grey) with a printed, scaled, and Modge Podged rusty diamond plate texture on cardstock for the bed deck.

    This will be painted in rattle can red with light weathering and a bit of surface rust/oxidation on the body, as a typical classic farm truck. I plan on installing an M2 Machines fuel tank under one side of the bed and an under-bed "work box" tool carrier on the opposite side from the fuel tank. Interior will get a simulated saddle blanket seat cover and typical detail & weathering.

  • #2
    Nice job! I have the original version of this one but it is missing some parts.
    “No one is perfect - that's why pencils have erasers.”

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by MatchboxFan55 View Post
      Nice job! I have the original version of this one but it is missing some parts.
      Thanks!

      Comment


      • #4
        Neat transformation from the firetruck it was.
        Doug

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Douglas View Post
          Neat transformation from the firetruck it was.
          It's getting there!

          Comment


          • #6
            Have you ever tried using styrene for bumpers, flatbeds, chassis, etc? It makes crisp edges, it's stronger, and it looks way better! Or at least use bass wood cut with a good Xacto knife, that will be a good deal stronger and the wood won't look so shredded.

            What are you using for adhesive? I've found that a tiny bit of Gorilla super glue bonds very well, isn't messy, and you won't be able to see it smeared around like on your flatbed if you don't use too much. You can buy one of these at any craft store or supermarket, it's much easier to use and allows you to focus on getting the glue in the right spot. (you push in on the orange sides to squeeze it out FYI)

            Click image for larger version

Name:	adsg.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	236843
            I don't think Gorilla wants us to know this, but I found out today that once you've finished it, with a little prying you can take apart the plastic part, take out the empty tube, and refill it with a traditional tube. That way you only have to spend the extra $2 or so for the easy squeeze thing once. Highly recommend.
            "You can sit there and dream about it, or you can stand up and make it happen."

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DieCastDodges View Post
              Have you ever tried using styrene for bumpers, flatbeds, chassis, etc? It makes crisp edges, it's stronger, and it looks way better! Or at least use bass wood cut with a good Xacto knife, that will be a good deal stronger and the wood won't look so shredded.

              What are you using for adhesive? I've found that a tiny bit of Gorilla super glue bonds very well, isn't messy, and you won't be able to see it smeared around like on your flatbed if you don't use too much. You can buy one of these at any craft store or supermarket, it's much easier to use and allows you to focus on getting the glue in the right spot. (you push in on the orange sides to squeeze it out FYI)

              Click image for larger version

Name:	adsg.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	236843
              I don't think Gorilla wants us to know this, but I found out today that once you've finished it, with a little prying you can take apart the plastic part, take out the empty tube, and refill it with a traditional tube. That way you only have to spend the extra $2 or so for the easy squeeze thing once. Highly recommend.
              I use hot melt Gorilla Glue because with the issues I have with my hands and with working fast, superglue doesn't work well for me. I don't have money for tools to work with styrene or to buy styrene regularly, and I have dexterity issues that keep me from working well with X-Acto knives.

              I mostly work with the stuff I can get free or cheap at my work, I'm happy with most of my results as well. I just don't have some of the physical capabilities or much of the financial resources a lot of other folks in the hobby can.

              Comment


              • #8
                As customizers, we've talked about this before,,,be prepared for the ire of taking a collectable Liedo fire truck and making it into a farm truck! I hope Pastor John doesn't see this

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ivantt View Post
                  As customizers, we've talked about this before,,,be prepared for the ire of taking a collectable Liedo fire truck and making it into a farm truck! I hope Pastor John doesn't see this
                  LOL

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by GCU 2.0 View Post

                    I use hot melt Gorilla Glue because with the issues I have with my hands and with working fast, superglue doesn't work well for me. I don't have money for tools to work with styrene or to buy styrene regularly, and I have dexterity issues that keep me from working well with X-Acto knives.

                    I mostly work with the stuff I can get free or cheap at my work, I'm happy with most of my results as well. I just don't have some of the physical capabilities or much of the financial resources a lot of other folks in the hobby can.
                    As long as you're happy with it that's all that matters, so keep having fun with it 👍
                    "You can sit there and dream about it, or you can stand up and make it happen."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	20210225_151254_HDR.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	238003
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	20210225_151044_HDR.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	237996 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210225_151010_HDR.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	237997 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210225_151058_HDR.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	237998 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210225_151122_HDR.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	237999 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210225_151109_HDR.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	238000 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210225_151051_HDR.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	238001 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210225_151159_HDR.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	238002 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210225_151206_HDR.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	238004 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210225_151027_HDR.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	238005 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210225_151222_HDR.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	238006 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210225_151019_HDR.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	238007

                      Finished. I'm quite happy with it.


                      Paint is weathered Kroger HD Designs Stop Sign Red rattle can with Apple Barrel "Pavement" on the rear frame and grille opening, bed is scratchbuilt around the rear half of a junk Greenlight heavy duty truck flatbed, spare tire & gas tank are M2 Machines items from the parts bin, tool boxes are from a no-name pull-back truck, and the gooseneck trailer hitch (made to pull Ertl, Siku, Majorette and Maisto trailers, not sure if it will work with Greenlight ones) is a stainless steel screw put in through the bottom of the bed, via where a screw mount in the old Greenlight bed base was cut off and a hole poked in it. The screw was screwed in and then permanently glued in place.





                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X