Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Thing to do with Stimulus - Change Smoke Detectors

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • One Thing to do with Stimulus - Change Smoke Detectors

    Remembered hearing that smoke detectors should be changed every 10 years, as the sensors wear out, and after 10 years they can fail, but I just assumed mine wasn't very old, I mean the place had been sold twice within the last 10 years.

    Back when the time change happened the news mentioned it was a good time to change smoke detector batteries, and also mentioned about the ten year deal, and said each detector had a manufacture date on the back... I didn't know about the date on back.

    Anyway, I just waited for the thing to start chirping, which happened a couple weeks ago, so changing the battery I remembered about the date, and no it wasn't just 10 years old, it was nearly 20, made in 2001.

    So yesterday while at Home Depot I saw the smoke detectors there, and saw some pretty high prices on some, others around $20, but then I saw these simple little brown boxes holding your plain jane units on one of the shelves, and they were only $5 each, so you see it wont cost a lot to keep the family safe, so you should check and replace yours if needed.




    see the dates right on the back
    Doug

  • #2
    It is amazing how time goes by on things like these. My two churches have been updating some safe church practices/policies and one of them has to do with things like smoke detectors, exit lights and fire extinguishers. At my second church in the town of Mott they discovered at least two of the extinguishers had not been checked since sometime in the 1970's. They are now being replaced!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by pjedsel View Post
      It is amazing how time goes by on things like these. My two churches have been updating some safe church practices/policies and one of them has to do with things like smoke detectors, exit lights and fire extinguishers. At my second church in the town of Mott they discovered at least two of the extinguishers had not been checked since sometime in the 1970's. They are now being replaced!
      Glad they've discovered the outdated safety devices or equipment John, I realized it is so easy to just think these things are there doing their job and available if you need them, when sometimes they are worn out and really no longer of any use.
      Doug

      Comment


      • #4
        Not all smoke detectors are the same.

        Quote: "aAnyway, I just waited for the thing to start chirping, which happened a couple weeks ago, so changing the battery I remembered about the date, and no it wasn't just 10 years old, it was nearly 20, made in 2001."

        I suspect that this one was a high-end one when new.
        You are/were lucky!

        The ones in my home are super sensitive.
        Slightly burn a piece of bread in the toaster in my kitchen and the closest one in the hallway goes off immediately.
        Same thing will occur if you have a hot steamy shower and open the bathroom door afterwards (if ventilation fan was not turned on).
        We also have carbon monoxide detectors in our home.
        "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

        An excellent subject to discuss.

        Cheers. Cobra

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by accobra64 View Post
          Not all smoke detectors are the same.

          Quote: "aAnyway, I just waited for the thing to start chirping, which happened a couple weeks ago, so changing the battery I remembered about the date, and no it wasn't just 10 years old, it was nearly 20, made in 2001."

          I suspect that this one was a high-end one when new.
          You are/were lucky!

          The ones in my home are super sensitive.
          Slightly burn a piece of bread in the toaster in my kitchen and the closest one in the hallway goes off immediately.
          Same thing will occur if you have a hot steamy shower and open the bathroom door afterwards (if ventilation fan was not turned on).
          We also have carbon monoxide detectors in our home.
          "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

          An excellent subject to discuss.

          Cheers. Cobra
          My old one had went off from the shower steam once or twice last year, of course it is mounted right across from the bathroom door, and there is no vent fan in there, I have no idea if this new cheap model will be so sensitive. I have no carbon monoxide detector, and since I have no gas at my place I'm probably alright, but a good thing to have when you do.
          Doug

          Comment


          • #6
            When I was a kid we lived in a house that caught fire 3 different times!
            Faulty dryer, faulty refrigerator and a staple through wire inside the wall.
            Come to find out, that same house also caught fire years before we moved in.
            I hear the average person has a house fire once every 50 years.

            Eric

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 69ch View Post
              When I was a kid we lived in a house that caught fire 3 different times!
              Faulty dryer, faulty refrigerator and a staple through wire inside the wall.
              Come to find out, that same house also caught fire years before we moved in.
              I hear the average person has a house fire once every 50 years.

              Eric
              Wow, you sure had more than your lifetime average Eric. For me it was only once as a child, it was kind of a major fire, we were out of the house while being worked on for 3 and a half months, spent in a motel, there were 11 of us, but we had three adjoining rooms.
              Doug

              Comment

              Working...
              X